Its September 1. The dreaded day that bookends the summer. Usually, right about this time every year, I look back on the summer and wish I had made something more of it. All too frequently since adolescence, I wish I had either done more, seen more, traveled more, or whatever the regret of the day happens to be.
This summer, we came, we saw, we conquered, we partied…. and partied some more….
In three months time:
(* – post coming soon)
- We bought a hang glider.
- I took Skivvy and Sarah’s engagement photos.
- I visited Valerie in London.
- We saw the Town Pants. And had some drinks with them.
- We celebrated Kirsten’s 21st in the South Side.
- I had sushi with Mary and Zack in Mt. Lebanon.
- We went to Nelson Ledges.
- We went to the Lone Pine (twice).
- We conquered yet another Great Blue Heron.
- I was a groomsmen in Skivvy and Sarah’s wedding.
- I went to Crick Falls.
- We pig roasted for Kurt.
- We pig roasted again for Skivvy and Sarah.
- We went to the Sirna Reunion in Rock Hall, MD.
- I grew the world’s hottest pepper.*
- I ate sushi in Baltimore.
- I went to Deep Creek Lake with the family.
And through those and many other adventures, I learned a lot about myself and the world around me.
- I learned to be a better photographer. All year, I was considering a big investment in buying a new Nikon D700 (or better). Suffering from buyers remorse before even opening my wallet, I decided to concentrate on my work instead of my equipment, and I learned there were limits in my photography that I could overcome with the gear I already had.
- I learned to be a better dog-owner. Lumen is frustrating, and I frequently want to strangle him, but I’ve learned patience and understanding with the beast.
- I learned to be a better musician. Through my own practicing, I’ve improved more than ever at improvisational piano. I still can’t sight read a lick, but I have a better understanding of the keyboard after this summer.
- I learned to be a better boyfriend. The distance has been really tough on us, but we learned immeasurable amounts about each other this summer, and for that, I am grateful. It’s been a powerful learning experience and I’ll be so happy to have her home.
Here’s to making it a kick ass autumn *raises glass* 😎